SUGAR FREE CASCARA SYRUP
For approximately 1 litre of syrup
- 150g of natural cascara
- 1.5 litres of filtered water
Time: 18 hours steeping / 2 hours cooking
- In a large saucepan, vigorously stir the water and cascara to mix thoroughly.
- Let it steep for 18 hours.
- Put the pan with the soaked cascara mix on the stove at medium heat for 45 minutes. Allow to heat slowly without reaching boiling point. Stir slowly every 10 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, remove from the stove and let the brew cool down for 20 minutes, then remove the cascara using a sieve. Pour the brew back into the pan and let it rest for another 20 minutes.
- Put the brew back on the stove at medium heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let the brew slowly reduce without reaching boiling point. Stir slowly every 10 minutes. Taste to check the level of sweetness.
- Allow to cool down completely, then bottle.
- Can be mixed with Filter coffee or Cold brew (better than sugar!) – High in caffeine drink!!!
- Can be mixed with liqueur and sparkling wine for crazy cocktails
- Can be served with soda water and a slice of dried orange for Cascara Soda
Régine L. Guion-Firmin