For the Cascara Sauce
- 75g of Cascara
- 1L of filtered or spring water (or any good water that you fancy)
- Steeping time: 1 hour / 24 hours
- Preparation time: 5 minutes (24 hours steeping) 20 minutes
- In a receptacle, add 75g of Cascara and 400ml of water, and let it soak for 1 hour in the fridge, in order to let the Cascara rehydrate.
- Then add 300ml and let the brew soak for 24 hours. The Cascara will slowly absorb the water.
- After 24 hours, pour the brew with the cascara in a saucepan. Add 300ml, and bring to a simmer, for 20 minutes. Stir from time to time.
- Remove the Cascara out of the brew, then let it cool for 4 hours
For the Cascara Curd
- 500ml of Cascara Sauce
- 50g unrefined caster sugar
- 200g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 free-range eggs, plus 1 free-range egg yolk
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Put the Cascara sauce, the sugar and the butter into a heatproof bowl. Sit the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure the water is not touching the bottom of the bowl. Stir the mixture every now and again until all of the butter has melted.
- Lightly whisk the eggs and egg yolk and stir them into the Cascara mixture. Whisk until all of the ingredients are well combined, then leave to cook for 10-13 minutes, stirring every now and again, until the mixture is creamy and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove the Cascara curd from the heat and set aside to cool, stirring occasionally as it cools. Sieve the mix to remove the egg white bits. Once cooled, spoon the Cascara curd into sterilised jars and seal. Keep in the fridge until ready to use.
Perfect to spread on scones for cream tea!